Gifting a cigar, much like gifting a fine wine, is a gesture of sophistication and appreciation. For centuries, cigars have been symbolic of celebration, achievement, and camaraderie. However, the world of cigars can appear vast and mysterious to those unfamiliar with it and you might feel clueless on how to choose the right cigar as a gift. If you’re considering bestowing a cigar upon a loved one, the challenge often lies not in the act of giving but in selecting the perfect cigar for someone who appreciates it. By the end of this article, you should feel confident that you can buy cigars as a gift.
The Best Advice We Have for Those Gifting Cigars:
There are generally two types of cigar smokers — those that are avid, daily smokers and those that smoke cigars rarely and only in celebratory fashion. If you’re gifting cigars to a loved one, it would make sense to understand which category the person might fit in before purchasing. This might help you decide whether to buy a box of cigars or just a sampler (or even a single cigar), a mild or full-bodied cigar, etc.
Diving into the cigar world might seem daunting, but here’s a trick to ease the process: always play detective. If you can, subtly ask your loved one about the cigar they’re currently enjoying. Make sure you ease into the conversation as to not raise suspicion! Here are some questions you might ask to glean the most useful information:
Which Cigar are you smoking?
What is the best brand of cigar (in their opinion)? Perhaps, “Who do you think makes the best cigars?”
How long does it take to finish that cigar? (This information will give you an idea about the typical size the smoker enjoys)
If direct questioning isn’t an option or if you are buying cigars for someone that isn’t an avid smoker, you will need to take a different approach. For avid cigar smokers, consider reaching out to their close friends at the cigar lounge or shop. You’d be surprised how much you can glean from casual conversations. And don’t forget, cigar shop owners and workers are often the unsung heroes in this story. A quick call to the shop can provide invaluable insight, as these aficionados often know their regular customers’ tastes to a T. Leverage their expertise; they’re usually more than happy to assist! The cigar shop is also a great resource if you’re buying for novice cigar smokers or if you’re buying cigars for a specific event or celebration. There are often cigars made for specific events such as a new baby, golf outing, etc. So, lean on the cigar shop to help in these situations.
So, unless you really just want to do the shopping yourself, go ahead and do your detective work and then give Hiland’s Cigars a call. We’re happy to help you select something your loved one will enjoy.
Pro Tip 2!
Ensuring that cigars remain in peak condition is paramount, especially when they’re to be presented as a cherished gift. To maintain their freshness and quality, cigars should be stored in an environment with a humidity level between 65% and 72%. This helps them retain their moisture, ensuring a smooth and flavorful smoke. A humidor, which is specifically designed to regulate humidity, is ideal for this purpose, but often humidors aren’t typically in the budget as they can be fairly expensive. When you purchase your cigars, make sure you ask for temporary setup that will keep your cigars in perfect humidity until you are able to give the cigars as a gift. If you’re gifting cigars and are unsure about the receiver’s storage facilities, consider including a Boveda pack — a two-way humidity control system — to guarantee that your thoughtful gift remains as impeccable as intended. We are happy to help you with the management of your cigar gift — just let us know with your order that this is a gift and you need a temporary humidity solution.
Equally important is the temperature, which should ideally be kept around 70°F (21°C). Avoid places with direct sunlight or drastic temperature fluctuations.
Finally, know that cigars can be damaged fairly easily if they aren’t protected from being dropped, smashed, or broken. Make sure you store them in a safe place and don’t damage them before they are gifted!
Recommended Cigar Samplers
Oliva Serie V Melanio Series Sampler Natural (Assorted Sizes / Pack of 8) + Free Shipping and Lighter!
Reasons You Might Give a Cigar as Gift:
Gifting a cigar goes beyond just the physical act; it’s an experience, a gesture, and sometimes a tradition. Though ANY celebrated holiday or occasion is fine for gifting a cigar, there are a few that are traditionally thought of as typical. Here are some reasons and occasions when a cigar might make the perfect gift:
- Birthdays: Celebrating another year of life is a joyous occasion, and a premium cigar can elevate the festivities. For those who love the occasional puff, receiving a cigar on their birthday can be a delightful treat.
- Weddings: As an age-old tradition, grooms and their groomsmen often share a cigar to celebrate the big day. Gifting a box of cigars can be a great way to partake in this ritual.
- Anniversaries: Commemorating love and togetherness with a finely crafted cigar can make anniversaries even more special.
- Retirement: As someone transitions into a new phase of life, a cigar can symbolize the beginning of relaxed, golden years.
- Father’s Day: Show appreciation to fathers, grandfathers, or father-figures with a cigar, a gesture that can invoke nostalgia and warmth.
- Celebrating Achievements: Whether it’s a promotion, a new job, or any significant milestone, marking the moment with a cigar can make the celebration grander.
- Holidays: Be it Christmas, New Year’s Eve, or Thanksgiving, sharing a cigar can become a cherished holiday tradition.
- Birth of a Child: A long-standing tradition involves the father handing out cigars to friends and family to celebrate the birth of a child.
- Bachelor Parties: Often a night of revelry and camaraderie, cigars can add an elegant touch to the festivities.
- To Commemorate a Special Trip: Whether it’s a fishing expedition, a golfing trip, or any memorable journey, sharing a cigar can immortalize the experience.
- As a Token of Appreciation: Sometimes, there doesn’t need to be a specific reason. Gifting a cigar as a thank you or just because can speak volumes about your appreciation and thoughtfulness.
- Valentine’s Day: For the partner who enjoys a good smoke, a cigar can be a unique and cherished gift, different from the usual chocolates and flowers.
Remember, while the occasions might vary, the sentiment remains the same. A cigar is not just a gift; it’s a shared experience, a moment in time, and often, a cherished memory.
Understanding Basic Cigar Terminology:
For those outside the cigar community, the language can sound as foreign as a completely different dialect. But don’t fret; it’s simpler than it appears. When shopping for a cigar, it’s beneficial to understand a few key terms that can guide your choice:
- Size and Shape: Cigars come in various lengths and thicknesses. Two common terms you’ll encounter are Robusto (a shorter, thicker cigar) and Corona (a longer, leaner one).
- Wrapper: This refers to the outermost leaf, influencing the cigar’s flavor. You might hear words like Connecticut (a milder, creamy flavor) or Maduro (darker with a sweet touch).
- Strength: Cigars are often categorized by their strength or intensity. Terms like mild, medium, or full-bodied indicate the richness and potency of the cigar’s flavor.
- Origin: Like wines, cigars are influenced by the region where their tobacco is grown. Notables include Dominican (smooth and mild) and Nicaraguan (spicier, robust).
For a gift, you don’t need to know every term in the book. Just a basic understanding of these can help you feel more at ease when shopping and allow you to make a more informed decision. Remember, it’s the thought and effort you put into selecting the cigar that truly counts!
Popular Cigar Brands & Choices
If you’re a novice when it comes to cigars, it’s always a safe bet to choose from established and reputed brands. These brands have, over the years, solidified their position in the market due to their consistency, quality, and flavor profiles. Here’s a quick list to get you started:
- Arturo Fuente: A respected name in the cigar industry, Arturo Fuente offers a broad range of cigars, suitable for both beginners and aficionados.
- Padron: Known for their Nicaraguan cigars, Padron has options that range from moderately priced to high-end luxury cigars.
- Montecristo: A classic choice, Montecristo cigars are known for their impeccable construction and consistent taste.
- Romeo y Julieta: With origins in Cuba and now primarily produced in the Dominican Republic, they offer a variety of flavors and strength profiles suitable for all smokers.
- Oliva: Garnering numerous awards, Oliva cigars are celebrated for their deep flavors and top-notch craftsmanship.
- Perdomo: A favorite among many, Perdomo offers a diverse range, from milder Connecticut cigars to richer, fuller-bodied options.
- Davidoff: Synonymous with luxury, Davidoff cigars might be on the pricier side but are known for their refined taste and sophistication.
For beginners or for those unsure about the recipient’s specific taste, opting for a milder cigar is often a good idea. They provide a smooth experience without overwhelming the palate. However, if your loved one has mentioned a specific brand or flavor profile they enjoy, try to get as close to that as possible. And if in doubt, many shops offer cigar sampler packs, which provide a selection of different cigars, allowing the recipient to explore and find their favorite.
Presentation and Packaging: Making Your Gift Stand Out
Just as with any other gift, the way you present a cigar can make a world of difference. Here’s how to elevate your cigar gift with thoughtful presentation and packaging:
- Cigar Boxes: Many premium cigars come in decorative and beautifully crafted wooden boxes. Not only do these boxes protect the cigars, but they also add a touch of elegance to your gift.
- Cigar Tubes: Individual cigar tubes, often made of glass or metal, can protect and preserve a single cigar. They’re perfect for gifting just one or two cigars and offer a sleek look.
- Cigar Bands: A cigar’s band is its signature – a mark of its brand and quality. If you’re gifting loose cigars, ensure the bands are intact. They add a touch of authenticity and give the recipient a hint of the cigar’s origin and brand.
- Humidity Pouches: These are perfect for ensuring the cigar remains fresh, especially if you’re unsure when the recipient will smoke it. It’s a considerate touch that seasoned cigar smokers will appreciate.
- Accessorize: Consider adding a quality cigar cutter or a lighter to your gift. These tools are essential for enjoying a cigar and can elevate your gift from thoughtful to unforgettable.
- Personalized Touches: A handwritten note expressing your sentiments, or perhaps a small booklet on cigar etiquette and enjoyment can make your gift truly personalized.
Remember, the joy of gifting lies in the thought and effort put into it. A well-presented cigar, paired with some essential accessories and a personal touch, speaks volumes about the care and thought you’ve invested in choosing the perfect present. Gifting a cigar is more than just offering a smokable item; it’s presenting a curated experience, a moment of relaxation, and a hint of luxury. Whether it’s a special occasion or just because, selecting the right cigar shows thoughtfulness and an appreciation for the finer things in life. But remember, while the cigar itself holds importance, it’s the intention and care behind the gift that truly resonates.
Recommended Cigar Samplers
Gifting Cigars FAQ:
- How do you pick a cigar as a gift?
- Start by subtly inquiring about the recipient’s current cigar preferences or seek recommendations from their friends or their favorite cigar shop. Look into popular brands or consider the occasion; for instance, a celebratory event might warrant a higher-end, special edition cigar.
- Is it OK to give a cigar as a gift?
- Absolutely! Cigars are often considered luxury items and can be a thoughtful gift, especially for someone who appreciates the art and craft of cigar smoking. Just ensure the recipient enjoys cigars or has shown interest in them.
- How many cigars should you give as a gift?
- While there’s no set number, gifting a single premium cigar is often appreciated for its quality. However, if you’re unsure about the recipient’s specific taste, a sampler pack of different cigars can be a great choice, offering them a variety to explore.
- When should you gift cigars?
- Cigars can be gifted on various occasions like birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, promotions, or retirement. They’re also popular gifts during the holidays or as congratulatory gestures.
- How much should you spend on a good cigar?
- The price of a good cigar can vary widely based on brand, origin, and rarity. While you can find decent cigars for under $10, premium cigars can range from $20 to $50 or even more. Base your spending on what you feel comfortable with and the occasion’s significance. Remember, it’s the thought and effort that counts most!
At Hiland’s Cigars, we’re not just about selling cigars and tobacco — we’re about creating memorable experiences. Whether you’re a novice looking for guidance or a seasoned aficionado, we’re here to help. Browse our extensive collection of cigars, speak to our experts, and let us assist you in finding the perfect cigar gift that will be cherished and remembered.